This special voyage explores the rich culinary heritage of France, particularly the province of Normandy — a bountiful region of rolling hills dotted with dairy farms and fruit orchards drained by the Seine River. During the course of the cruise, you’ll sample Normandy’s creamy cheeses, sip flavorful calvados apple brandy, and learn how to prepare some of the region’s most distinctive dishes. You’ll also gain special insight into French traditions concerning food and drink, as you take part in local
experiences, get an introduction to French drinking culture, and enjoy a wine-pairing dinner aboard ship. Here are the culinary highlights scheduled for your cruise:
• Cooking lesson in the Captain's Club: Crepes Suzette.
• Enjoy a French aperitif with locals in Giverny village
• Introduction to French drinking culture by the ship’s maître d’
• Cooking lesson in the Captain's Club: Navarin of Lamb
• Learn about the French apero experience, a convivial drink with snacks
• Enjoy a tasting of Normandy cheeses and calvados apple brandy
• Cooking lesson in the Captain's Club: Matelote (fish cooked in cider)
• Wine-pairing dinner, presented in the ship’s restaurant by the maître d’
• Demonstration on making a traditional Normandy apple tart
• Cooking lesson in the Captain's Club: Normandy mussels in apple cider sauce
• French le gouter experience: Traditional afternoon snack at a café or tea house
• Taste of Normandy tour with Benedictine tasting and visit to a goat farm
• Cooking lesson in the Captain's Club: Joue du Boeuf
• Lunch at La Couronne restaurant in Rouen, the oldest auberge in France and where Julia Child said she had “the most exciting meal of my life.’’
• Cooking lesson in the Captain's Club: Poulet Bretonne
Cocktail of the Day:
Stop by the lounge for a demonstration by the bar staff on mixing the cocktail of the day. You can order it afterwards and raise a glass with fellow travelers.
Cooking lessons are limited to 30 participants per session, and signup is required. Lessons take place in the ship’s Captain’s Club, and that’s where participants will be served the prepared meal afterward. Once you've attended a session, preference will be given to those who have not yet attended a lesson. The dishes mentioned above are an example of the regional dishes that will be prepared and are subject to change, based on seasonality and other factors.