What to Expect
Each Vantage Adventure is designed to help you fully experience local culture and to get out and explore while keeping active. We find these are the two most fulfilling and rewarding ways to transform any trip into an adventure, and into the experience of a lifetime. To that end, we’ve rated each trip to indicate the level of cultural immersion and physical activity, with “1” being the lowest and “3” being the highest.
• You must be able to walk 2-3 miles unassisted in order to fully experience every destination, such as exploring Old Cairo and at archeological sites at Luxor and elsewhere. Steps and cobblestones are to be expected, as well as occasional steep and/or uneven terrain. Entering tombs in the Valley of the Kings and Queens may involve descending a narrow, somewhat steep walkway at a crouch, and may not be comfortable for some. Sightseeing focuses on guided walking tours at various sites around Cairo and at archeological sites along the Nile River.
• Visitors should be prepared for warm temperatures and bright sun, although October is an excellent time to travel to Egypt, with daily averages temperatures of about 73 degrees Fahrenheit. Nights will be noticeably cooler than the daytime.
• The MS Sonesta Star Goddess does not have an elevator and the ship and the tours are not suitable for wheelchairs, walkers, or other mobility aids. Please refer to Vantage's wheelchair and handicapped traveler policy for further information. Please let our Reservations Specialist know when booking if you require the use of an elevator so that they can work with you to select an alternative tour
• At most ports of call, the MS Sonesta Star Goddess will dock at the pier so that you can walk from ship ramp to shore. Occasionally, side-by-side docking will be necessary along the Nile, and Vantage will be required to pass through another cruise ship to reach the shore.
• Visit 9 destinations (some cruise destinations twice) in 12 nights, with 4 nights in Cairo in a centrally located hotel before your cruise, and a final night after your cruise in the Heliopolis neighborhood, closer the airport. In addition to embarkation and disembarkation in Aswan, you’ll visit 4 distinct ports of call during your 7-night cruise. There is also one overnight flight from the U.S. to Europe.
• Sightseeing that requires transportation will be on a private, air-conditioned motorcoach.
CULTURAL IMMERSION: The focus of this Egypt vacation involves explorations of the most notable landmarks and archaeological sites of Cairo and the Nile Valley, as well as a multi-cultural introduction to Cairo, one of the world's most interesting cities. Egypt has been hosting visitors and tourists for hundreds of years, and is a hospitable, welcoming, and surprisingly sophisticated destination in many respects. During excursions in Cairo, as well as your sojourns along the Nile, you will have the opportunity to interact with and see Egyptians going about their daily lives. The infrastructure in Cairo and along the Nile Valley varies from completely modern and up-to-date to quite undeveloped, particularly in rural Egypt. One of the most interesting aspects of your journey will be the contrast between urban and rural Egypt. Visitors can expect to encounter some poverty, although much less than in many countries. Your hotel and ships are part of the tourist infrastructure geared for Western travelers, so you can expect modern amenities. Egypt is a safe country for visitors, and you will be well cared for by your Vantage Adventure Leader. Come with a flexible attitude, a spirit of adventure, and good will toward the people you meet, and this will be a wonderful experience like none other.
CLOTHING: Shorts and bare shoulders are okay while onboard ship, but are generally not recommended in Cairo, and may also limit access to certain religious sites. Your Adventure Leader will be happy to advise you about appropriate dress during the course of your tour.
Some of the “Vantage Adventure extras” include having a single Adventure Leader who travels with you on both the extension(s) and the main tour, and tips included for local guides and drivers.
Important Notice: Day-by-day itineraries are preliminary and therefore subject to change. If changes occur while on tour, you will be notified by your Vantage Adventure Leader or regional expert.
Important Notice: The above day-by-day itineraries are preliminary and therefore subject to change. If changes occur while on tour, you will be notified by your Vantage Adventure Leader or regional expert.
Please Note: The hotels listed are preliminary and subject to change. Although we contract our hotels a year in advance, unforeseen situations do occasionally occur. Should it be necessary to change a hotel, one of equal quality and value will be substituted. You will receive verified hotel information with your final itinerary.
That hotel ratings are based on the Hotel and a leading travel industry authority on hotels throughout the world.