What to Expect
Is This Adventure Right For You?
Please review the information below prior to departing on this adventure.
We reserve the right for our Adventure Leaders to modify participation, or in some circumstances send travelers home, if their condition would adversely affect the health, safety, or enjoyment of themselves or of other travelers.
• 5 locations in 15 days: 2 nights in Stresa (Lakes District); 3 nights in Venice ; 3 nights in Florence; 3 nights in Rome; 2 nights in Sorrento (Amalfi Coast), plus 1 overnight flight.
• Post-trip extension: 2 nights in Sorrento
• This is an active, busy itinerary packed with both indoor and outdoor sightseeing. Days often begin at 8 am and end at approximately 5 pm.
• Not appropriate for travelers using wheelchairs, walkers, or other mobility aids
• You must be able to walk unassisted while carrying hand luggage; expect 2-4 hours of physical activities on some days
• The warmest months are June-September, and it is generally warmer to the south, in Rome and Sorrento, then in the northern cities. Venice can be quite humid in any season.
• In the Lakes District, evening temperatures can dip into the 40s in the spring and fall.
• Many parts of Italy experience evening showers
• With our central locations in historic cities, the best way to sightsee is on foot, and we’ve included a number of longer city walks.
• In addition, the Uffizi Gallery Museum, the Vatican Museums, and Pompeii all require quite a bit of walking.
• You’ll tour by boat in the Lakes District, in Venice, and along the Amalfi Coast, so be prepared to step in and out of boats from a dock.
• Inter-city transportation will be on Italy’s excellent top-level trains. On most legs of the trip, you’ll travel by high-speed rail — by far the most efficient and comfortable form of inter-city transportation available. Train cars feature reclining seats, big windows, Wi-Fi, and USB plug-ins for charging electronic devices.
• Most city sightseeing will be done on foot from our centrally located hotels.
• We do use air-conditioned coaches for sightseeing when needed (except in Venice).
• In addition, you’ll tour by boat in the Lakes District, in Venice, and along the Amalfi Coast.
Accommodations & Facilities
• We spend 13 nights in comfortable high-quality hotels in central locations.
• All hotels have air-conditioning.
• All accommodations are en suite.
CULTURAL FOCUS: This Italy vacation offers great cultural opportunities to soak up the art and history through guided tours and lectures, and by just being in the city centers of Venice, Florence, Rome, and Sorrento, where you can stroll about. With its train travel, centrally located hotels, small groups, and sightseeing on foot, this won’t feel like a typical group tour, but will be a welcome throwback to a classic, “up-close” style of European travel.
Important Notice: The above day-by-day itineraries are preliminary and therefore subject to change. If changes occur while on tour, you will be notified by your Vantage Adventure Leader or regional expert.
Please Note: The hotels listed are preliminary and subject to change. Although we contract our hotels a year in advance, unforeseen situations do occasionally occur. Should it be necessary to change a hotel, one of equal quality and value will be substituted. You will receive verified hotel information with your final itinerary. That hotel ratings are based on the Hotel and a leading travel industry authority on hotels throughout the world.