What to Expect
Is this adventure for you?
Each Vantage Adventure is designed to help you fully experience local culture and to get out and explore while keeping active. We find these are the two most fulfilling and rewarding ways to transform any trip into an adventure, and into the experience of a lifetime. To that end, we’ve rated each trip to indicate the level of cultural immersion and physical activity, with “1” being the lowest and “3” being the highest.
- You must be able to walk 2 miles unassisted on uneven ground in cold and windy conditions.
- This is a physically challenging trip due to long distances and being one of the most remote parts of the planet, so excellent health is essential for your own personal safety and the rest of the group.
- Travelers with serious health conditions or mobility issues are not suited for this adventure.
- 4 locations in 12 days
- Four 1-night stays at beginning or end of your trip in Santiago and upon arrival and departure in Punta Arenas to maximize your travel experience and activities at Remota Lodge
- Most flights to/from South America travel overnight, so you will be arriving the next day in the early morning
- There are 3 internal flights in this adventure: Santiago to Puerto Montt (2 hrs), Puerto Montt to Punta Arenas (2.5 hrs) and Punta Arenas to Santiago (4 hrs)
- Extreme Weather Conditions: Patagonia is all about the wind, and it gets stronger as you head south. Temperatures may drop to the low 30s F or go up to the high 70s F depending on the wind! How windy is windy? During spring and summer, in Torres del Paine National Park, winds commonly reach 30 to 50 mph and sometimes even up to 70 mph!
- Soft Trails: We will be hiking mainly on soft trails, but weather conditions often increase the challenge. Hiking poles and technical outdoor gear are essential for this adventure.
- Travel by private, air-conditioned motorcoach
- From Remota Lodge, all excursions will be in special, comfortable vehicles to minimize the impact of unpaved roads and better access Torres del Paine National Park.
HOTELS: Our hotels for this adventure are small boutique and unique properties that will enhance your experience at each location:
- In Santiago, you will be within walking distance from main attractions and restaurants in the fashionable Lastarria district.
- In Puerto Varas, you will enjoy incredible lake views at the deluxe Hotel Patagonico.
- In Punta Arenas, you will enjoy views of the Strait of Magellan at the modern Hotel Cabo de Hornos, located right in the main square.
You will truly enjoy your 4 nights at the Remota Patagonian Lodge, facing a fjord just a few miles from the picturesque town of Puerto Natales. The lodge will handle all excursions and meals. Drinks are included during meals as well as during cocktail hour.
- 2 locations in 7 days: Two 1-night stays in Santiago due to flight times to Easter Island at a centrally located boutique hotel + 3 nights at small family-owned hotel on Easter Island
- 2 internal flights to/from Easter Island (5 hrs each way)
- Easter Island National Park fee and 7 included excursions and Cultural Connections on the island
- 8 meals: 5 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 2 dinners
- Vantage Adventure Leader and local experts
- All transfers and baggage handling (where permitted)
Note: There is up to 2 miles of walking per day on very uneven volcanic ground with loose rocks in a hot and humid subtropical climate. Hiking poles are very convenient for this extension.
FOOD: Most dietary requests can be accommodated if Vantage is notified well in advance.
South America requires little to moderate cultural adjustment for most travelers. The different people, customs, foods, culture, and history are what make South America such a rewarding destination.
Lots of sightseeing takes place on foot, but some will occur aboard air-conditioned motorcoaches, and aboard two excursion vessels. Some of our motorcoach transfers include short stretches of bumpy, unpaved and dusty roads. By foot, we cover some moderately rugged paths, and for some hikes we walk in areas without trails. We will also board small boats for two nature excursions. In Puerto Natales, you will have a choice of two included but elective activities: horseback riding or hiking. Should you choose to forego these you can relax or explore independently; your Adventure Leader will be happy to suggest alternate activities for your free time.
Though you may not experience cultural adjustment in South America, Patagonia travel will, however, require some climate adjustment! When going on a Patagonia vacation, you can't be sure of sunny weather — strong winds, rains, and cooler temperatures may occur at any time of the year. Please refer to Vantage's wheelchair and handicapped traveler policy as this journey does have some physical limitations.