Vantage's Deluxe state-of-the-art, French river cruise ship — ms River Discovery II!
- One 330 sq. ft. Owner's Suite with all the amenities of a Deluxe suite & more!
- 78% of staterooms have French balconies
- Bigger staterooms
- Single Staterooms
The ms River Discovery II: Catering Exclusively to Vantage Travelers
- River cruise ship designed with the American traveler in mind
- Intimate cruising with no more than 176 passengers on board
- Single seating dining with a tempting menu of American and European favorites, plus complimentary wine, beer, and soft drinks included with
dinner every night on board
- Elevator between Odyssey, Explorer and Navigator decks, with a hydraulic chair lift from Navigator Deck to open-air Solaris Deck
- Non-smoking throughout interior (designated smoking area on open-air Solaris Deck)
- Best passenger-to-staff ratio you'll find in luxury travel!
A New Generation of Cruise Ships
- Energy savings: The entire ship is equipped with LED lighting. With some 2,600 lights using 3W instead of 40-60W, this results in enormous energy savings.
- New systems: A high-tech audio system has been installed in the public areas of the ships. In addition, entertainment-on-demand (film, video and internet) and a GPS tracking system are available in the cabins.
- Special hull shape: The special hull shape allows a minimum draft of 5 ft.
. This means that even in shallow water, Vantage ships can keep going when others cannot. In addition, Vantage ships can reach the desired cruising speed of 13.7 miles / h using relatively little power, which saves a considerable amount of fuel. Moreover, the low resistance and smart construction make for fewer vibrations and less noise, resulting in more comfort for passengers.
- Hydraulic sliding roof: At the back of the ship, above the bar and the conservatory, there is a hydraulic sliding roof that can be fully opened and closed within three minutes. The ship therefore always has plenty of outside space, including on routes where passengers are not allowed on the 14,000 sq. ft. top deck due to low bridges.
- Efficient propulsion system: The vessels are propelled by two Caterpillar C32 engines in combination with Veth rudder propellers (2x745kW). This allows the ships to be classified as “green ships”, with low emissions (Tier 2).
FREE State-of-the-Art Interactive Features Onboard!
- True Video on Demand…watch what you want, when you want, from our vast library of movies. See our Movie list
- Access to many US television channels such as MSNBC, CNN, Discovery, Weather and many more.
- View your journey, daily destination highlights, important events, flight information and many other key information from the comfort of your cabin.
- iPod/iPhone docking stations in every cabin
- Follow your ship's journey through real time GPS tracking.
- Ship wide, wireless internet access* … stay connected to loved ones through Facebook, email.
- Easily book your next Memorable Journey with full access to VantageTravel.com
The Green Fleet: Environmentally Friendly Ships
Vantage’s new ships are designed to the latest eco-friendly standards. That helps ensure a better cruise experience for you and a better future for your children and grandchildren.
- Energy-efficient Tier 2 engines run quieter, produce less exhaust, and save fuel.
- State-of-the-art water- and energy-saving are employed throughout, including “smart cabin” systems and bright, efficient LED lighting.
- Quieter, more efficient hull designs save fuel and produce less wake.
- Waste treatment and recycling systems comply fully with strict European Union standards. For example, 90% of water used on the ship is cleaned to drinking water quality before being returned to the river.
Services & Amenities
Your Deluxe Suite or Stateroom:
- FREE Wi-fi* throughout the ship
- Early riser breakfast available daily
- Free coffee, tea & hot chocolate available 24 hours a day
- Fitness room with treadmill, stationary bicycle, free weights and step machine plus walking/jogging track
- Souvenirs and sundries available
- Playing cards and selection of games available
- Peppermint Lounge, serving from noon until last guest retires
- Entertainment onboard featuring local performers coming aboard in select ports, plus jukebox filled with nostalgic music hits
- Captain's Club with floor-to-ceiling windows for incomparable views. When the weather is right we retract the glass roof and slide open the back wall for a full alfresco experience.
- Luxurious hotel-style linens, L'Occitane de Provence bath products, and much more!
- Massage Studio on board
Join us and unpack just once in your private stateroom. All staterooms face outside and feature a glorious view. Deluxe staterooms and suites on the Navigator deck have French balconies, which offer the best of all worlds: grand, panoramic views and the ability to open your room to fresh river breezes — without reducing valuable interior space, the way a traditional balcony does.
Treat Yourself ... to a Suite:
Make the most of your journey by upgrading to a 250-square-foot Suite at a surprisingly reasonable price.. Or be the one lucky traveler per departure who reserves the top-of-the-line Owner's Suite, available on each Vantage ship.
If you're traveling solo, you'll also have the choice of reserving a single cabin so you don't have to pay based on double room rates. (Availability is limited, so reserve promptly if interested.)
Five-Star Dining for the American Palate
You can look forward to gourmet cuisine that reflects genuine local fare adapted for the American palate. The chefs aboard our river ships have been trained in the European style, attending the best culinary schools and serving apprenticeships under master chefs.
The Compass Rose Dining Room:
In our elegant Compass Rose dining room, enjoy one-seating dining, with no seating plan, so you can dine with whomever you choose. In this refined yet relaxed atmosphere, you'll find crisp white table linens, fine crystal, Villeroy & Boch dinnerware and silverware, fresh flowers, and attentive service.
Here, our chefs offer a daily menu of choices, including savory vegetarian and heart-healthy, lighter dishes, plus a salad bar at every lunch. We also offer generous breakfast and lunch buffets, and an afternoon snack. Tea, coffee, and hot chocolate are available around the clock.
Healthy Choices at Every Meal:
With so many of your meals included, you’ll have ample opportunity to sample the best of regional cuisine – on board our ships, in our hotels, in local restaurants, even in family homes. But along with the international fare you’ll also find many American favorites and choices for the health-conscious.
View our Sample Dinner Menu
Dine Alfresco in Our Captain’s Club
For a change of pace, you'll also be able to dine in the new Captain's Club seating area, where you can enjoy healthy spa cuisine and other lighter choices, buffet-style. The Captain's Club boasts floor-to-ceiling windows for incomparable views. When the weather is right we retract the glass roof and slide open the back wall for a full alfresco experience. While seating is open during the day, demand is high at dinnertime and reservations are required. Send a request to your concierge prior to your cruise to confirm the evening you prefer, or wait and reserve once you are on board. (Available on the ms River Discovery II
, ms River Explorer II
, ms River Splendor
, ms River Venture
, and ms River Voyager
Join us in the Peppermint Lounge
Come to the Peppermint Lounge to relax, share a drink with friends, and twist the night away to the classic hits of the early sixties.
Full Wine & Beer Selection, plus Cocktails in the Lounge:
We also stock a full wine and beer selection, so you can pair dishes with beer or wine from the region for a complete, authentic dining experience. The Peppermint Lounge offers a full cocktail selection during the afternoon and evening.
Health & Wellness:
One of the benefits of river cruising is that you go ashore just about every day, making it easy to go ashore for a morning run or an evening stroll. The Vantage ships now carry complimentary bicycles that you can sign out in port. Aboard ship, take advantage of the Solaris Deck walking/running track, as well as the fitness room, with treadmill, stationary bike, step machine, and free weights.
Please note, smoking is not permitted indoors; there is a designated smoking area outside.
On what side of the ship should I book my cabin?
It does not matter, as there is no "better" side of the ship. On some days, port-side cabins will be docked facing the shore; on other days it will be the starboard-side cabins.
*Complimentary Wi-Fi service is available aboard the ships in our Deluxe European river fleet. However, because the availability of wireless Internet access is based on local cell phone coverage (vs cable connections), unavoidable wireless service blackouts may occur.