What to Expect
Each Vantage Adventure is designed to help you fully experience local culture and to get out and explore while keeping active. We find these are the two most fulfilling and rewarding ways to transform any trip into an adventure, and into the experience of a lifetime. To that end, we’ve rated each trip to indicate the level of cultural immersion and physical activity, with “1” being the lowest and “3” being the highest.
- You must be able to walk 2-3 miles unassisted in order to fully experience every destination, such as exploring Old Cairo and the archaeological sites at Luxor and elsewhere. Steps and cobblestones are to be expected, as well as occasional steep and/or uneven terrain.
- Entering tombs in the Valley of the Kings and Queens may involve descending a narrow, somewhat steep walkway at a crouch, and may not be comfortable for some. Sightseeing focuses on guided walking tours at various sites around Cairo and at archaeological sites along the Nile River.
- February is a fabulous time to visit Egypt, as temperatures are mild and pleasant. Be prepared for warm temperatures and bright sun, with daily average temperatures of about 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Nights will be noticeably cooler than the daytime.
- The m/s Nebu does not have an elevator and the ship and the tours are not suitable for wheelchairs, walkers, or other mobility aids. Please refer to Vantage's wheelchair and handicapped traveler policy for further information.
- At most ports of call, the m/s Nebu will dock at the pier so that you can walk from ship ramp to shore. Occasionally, side-by-side docking will be necessary along the Nile, so you will be required to walk through another cruise ship to reach the shore.
Visit 7 destinations in 14 nights, with 4 nights in Cairo in a centrally located hotel before your cruise, two nights in Alexandria after your cruise, and a final night in Cairo’s Heliopolis neighborhood, closer to the airport. In addition to embarkation and disembarkation in Luxor, you’ll visit 3 distinct ports of call during your 7-night cruise.
Sightseeing that requires transportation will be on a private, air-conditioned motorcoach. There is also one short small boat ride to reach the Temple of Philae.
The focus of this Egypt vacation involves explorations of the most notable landmarks and archaeological sites of Cairo and the Nile Valley, as well as a multicultural introduction to Cairo, one of the world's most interesting cities. Egypt has been hosting visitors and tourists for hundreds of years, and is a hospitable, welcoming, and surprisingly sophisticated destination in many respects. During excursions in Cairo, as well as your sojourns along the Nile, you will have the opportunity to interact with and see Egyptians going about their daily lives. The infrastructure in Cairo and along the Nile Valley varies from completely modern and up-to-date to quite undeveloped, particularly in rural Egypt. One of the most interesting aspects of your journey will be the contrast between urban and rural Egypt. Your hotel and ships are part of the tourist infrastructure geared for Western travelers, so you can expect modern amenities. Egypt is a safe country for visitors, and you will be well cared for by your Vantage Adventure Leader. Come with a flexible attitude, a spirit of adventure, and good will toward the people you meet, and this will be a wonderful experience like none other.
Shorts and bare shoulders are fine while on board ship, but are generally not recommended in Cairo, and may also limit access to certain religious sites. Your Adventure Leader will be happy to advise you about appropriate dress during the course of your tour.
Some of the “Vantage Adventure extras” include having a single Adventure Leader who travels with you on both the extension(s) and the main tour, and tips included for local guides and drivers.
Important Notice: The above day-by-day itineraries are preliminary and therefore subject to change. If changes occur while on tour, you will be notified by your Vantage Adventure Leader or regional expert.
Please Note: Port Times & Itineraries are subject to change.
Please Note: The hotels listed are preliminary and subject to change. Although we contract our hotels a year in advance, unforeseen situations do occasionally occur. Should it be necessary to change a hotel, one of equal quality and value will be substituted. You will receive verified hotel information with your final itinerary.
Note: Hotel ratings are based on the Hotel Index, a leading travel industry authority on hotels throughout the world.