What to Expect
Is This Adventure Right For You?
Each Vantage Adventure is designed to help you fully experience local culture and to get out and explore while keeping active. We find these are the two most fulfilling and rewarding ways to transform any trip into an adventure, and into the experience of a lifetime. To that end, we’ve rated each trip to indicate the level of cultural immersion and physical activity, with “1” being the lowest and “3” being the highest.
- You must be able to walk 2 miles unassisted in uneven grounds in COLD & WINDY conditions
- You must be able to board on polarcirkel boat to do the excursions onboard MS MIDNATSOL
- This is NOT a physically challenging trip but you will be in the most remote parts of the planet so excellent health is essential for your own personal safety and the rest of the group
- Travelers with serious health conditions or mobility issues are not suited for this adventure
- 6 locations in 18 days
- 1-night stays at beginning or end of your trip
Most flights to/from South America travel overnight so you will be arriving next day in the early morning. There will be 1 internal flight between Punta Arenas-Santiago (4 hrs. non-stop)
- EXTREME WEATHER CONDITIONS: temperatures in the LOW 30s F as you will be traveling during austral summer. Wind is the most challenging weather factor, commonly reaching 40 to 60 mph.
- Uneven Terrain: during your 2 hr off-shore excursions you will be walking approx. 1mile in the very few free-of-snow areas. Lose rocks and penguin guano make it quite slippery. You will be provide with rubber boots onboard ship.
- Cape Horn stairs: weather permitting, for landing in Cape Horn you need to go up 170 steps up & same coming down. These steps can be wet & slippery.
Hotels & Expedition Cruise:
- Travel by private, air-conditioned motorcoach
- Navigate the Southern Ocean onboard expedition cruise MS MIDNATSOL: ship to shore excursion onboard new and comfortable polarcirkel boats
Our hotels are high international standards properties. We especially selected them with a focus on the convenient location in order to make the best of each destination.
- In Santiago and/or Montevideo, you will be within walking distance from main attractions & restaurants.
- You will explore the White Continent and Patagonia onboard expedition cruise MS MIDNATSOL
- Built in 2003, this vessel is an ice class 1X ship and equipped with advanced technology, making her very well suited for expedition voyages in Antarctica.
On board MS MIDNATSOL a buffet of international specialties will be served for BREAKFAST & LUNCH.
DINNERS will be three-course meals served at the tables. Some nights, dinner will be a buffet.
A selection of wines is available for purchase at lunch and dinner. There is a bar (not included) with a selection of spirits, wines, beers, and soft drinks, and a lounge with coffee service. Water, Tea and Coffee are included throughout the entire voyage.
Most dietary requests can be accommodated if notified well in advance.
OPTIONAL PRE-POST EXTENSION TO EASTER ISLAND
2 locations in 7 days: two 1 night stays in Santiago due to flights to Easter Island at centrally located boutique hotel + 3 nights at small family own hotel in Easter Island
2 internal flights to/from Easter Island (5hrs each way)
Easter Island National Park fee and 7 Included excursions & Cultural Connections in the island
8 meals: 5 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 2 dinners
Vantage Adventure Leader and Local Experts
All transfers and baggage handling (where permitted)
There is up to 2 miles of walking per day in very uneven volcanic grounds with loose rocks, hot and humidity subtropical climate. Hiking poles are very convenient for this extension