What to Expect
Please note: Because this trip takes place during the winter, travelers can expect shorter days (it can be dark around 4pm in some cases), higher amounts of precipitation, strong winds, and rough seas. When conditions dictate it, we may update our itinerary at the last minute because of weather.
• You must be able to walk 2-3 miles unassisted in order to fully experience every destination, such as walking the Dubrovnik city walls and exploring the cobbled streets and basements of Split Diocletian's Palace. Sightseeing focuses on guided walking tours through historic city centers and at archaeological sites. Steps and cobblestones are to be expected, as well as occasional steep and/or uneven terrain.
• La Perla does not have an elevator and the ship and the tours are not suitable for wheelchairs, walkers, or other mobility aids. Please refer to Vantage's wheelchair- and handicapped-traveler policy for further information. Please let our Reservations Specialist know when booking if you require the use of an elevator so that they can work with you to select an alternative tour
• At most ports of call, La Perla will dock at the pier so that you can walk from ship ramp to shore. Occasional ports of call will require tendering (shuttling to shore via a smaller boat).
• Visit 7 destinations in 11 nights, with 2 nights in a boutique hotel in Opatija, 2 nights in a centrally located hotel in Zagreb, and a 7-night cruise with 5 ports of call (in addition to the embarkation and disembarkation ports). There is also one overnight flight from the U.S. to Europe.
• Sightseeing that requires transportation will be on a private, air-conditioned motorcoach.
SMALL SHIP CRUISING: La Perla's smaller size and tonnage enables us to cruise in areas, such as among the islands of the Adriatic archipelago, that are off-limits to larger cruise vessels. In most ports, we're also able to tie up right at the pier, without the need for tendering (shuttling to shore in a smaller boat). Weather conditions and tides may at times require adjustments to the itinerary.
ABOARD SHIP: Cabins aboard La Perla are smaller than those on Vantage river boats, but are comfortable, fully equipped, and typical of the small ships that cruise in these destinations. While cruising, enjoy daily breakfast, lunch buffets, and dinners featuring international and local specialties prepared by the onboard chef and kitchen staff. Complimentary wireless Internet access will be available throughout the ship, although connectivity may be limited in certain locations on your itinerary.
CULTURAL FOCUS: This is an opportunity to experience classic Adriatic ports such as Dubrovnik, Split, and Hvar, as well as to cruise among the Croatian Islands and along the spectacular Dalmatian Coast. Focus is on the history, culture, and scenic beauty of an ancient, very diverse area of Europe that is unfamiliar to most Americans. A home-hosted dinner in Croatia, visits to family farms, local entertainment on and off the ship, including a private classical concert in Dubrovnik, and lectures and presentations by your Cruise Director and local people all serve to deepen your understanding of this fascinating region.
EXTRA TOUCHES: Some of the “Vantage Travel extras” include having a single Cruise Director who travels with you on both the main tour and the Lake Bled extension, tips included for local guides and drivers, and bottled water provided daily.